Select Page

The SEND Tribunal is an opportunity for parents to express their views, concerns and reasons for appeal. Parents are not expected to know the legality of these arguments and will apply the relevant law throughout the hearing. As a children`s charity, we advocate for the rights of every child and youth at risk. When you choose our services and choose exceptional legal expertise to solve your legal problem, you are also supporting our charitable work across the Curam Group. They help improve the lives of thousands of vulnerable children and youth every year. Legal aid for SEND (First Tier Tribunal Special Educational Needs and Disability) calls is only available through the telephone gateway. This is called “legal assistance” and it is only a matter of preparing a SEND appeal until the final hearing. We provide services to legal aid clients and private clients. The court may also hear cases of discrimination in schools, but cannot award financial compensation. Claims in this regard must be made within 6 months.

You usually have to show that you can`t afford to pay for this help. You may have to pay some of the money for the legal fees of your case or reimburse the costs later. Public funding (legal aid) may be available for certain SEN matters. Although we do not have a legal aid contract for SEN court cases, we can provide legal assistance for certain types of educational cases, including judicial review. For more information on legal aid, see our fact sheet on legal aid Legal aid is the use of public funds to fund legal advice and representation before the courts. The Legal Aid Agency is responsible for providing legal aid in England and Wales. The Legal Aid Penalties and Penalties for Offenders Act 2012 sets out the areas in which legal aid will be available from 1 April 2013. Legal Aid Auditor: Our team can assist you during the first contact with the school to identify needs and obtain an individual education plan, to request a legal assessment, to verify the determination of special educational needs up to representation in court against the refusal to make a declaration of special educational needs, Appeal.

Our Lancaster office handles mutual legal aid clarification cases, but this is almost exclusively telephone or remote counselling, not in-person. And unfortunately, for SEND calls, it does not include representation at the last hearing. On the other hand, appeals to the High Court may apply for legal aid to finance legal representation provided that they meet the criteria of resources and benefits. In addition, Irwin Mitchell, in collaboration with the national deafblind charity Sense and Monckton Chambers, has developed a series of fact sheets and sample letters to help you better understand the law surrounding SEN issues and create basic legal representations yourself. To find out if you are eligible for legal aid, you can contact the Civil Law Advice Centre, which will conduct an initial assessment. Visit their website or call them on 0345 345 4345 to find out more. Its line is open Monday to Friday from 9:00 to 20:00 and Saturday from 9:00 to 12:30. If you are eligible for legal aid, but do not have education lawyers who offer legal aid in your area, the Civil Legal Advice Service can refer you to us for remote advice and support. If you think you are eligible for legal aid and wish to apply for it, you can do so either through the Civil Procedure Agency (“CLAA”) or directly with a legal aid provider: you must contact the civil law adviser for legal aid in education. If it is assumed that you are entitled to legal aid, you will be assigned to a specialist educational adviser. With experienced lawyers in offices across the UK, we are recognised as a premier SEN law firm. As leading experts in the field, we have a strong track record of successful challenges in both first and high instances.

To determine if you qualify for legal advice for financial reasons, there is an online calculator. The court is a legal procedure. You can hire lawyers or represent yourself. Find a Legal Aid Advisor – Find out if you qualify for legal aid – GOV.UK ( To be eligible for legal aid, your financial situation must be assessed and within the limits set by the Legal Aid Agency. All school law cases will be means-tested. You must provide information about your and your partner`s income, benefits, savings, property and shares. If you wish to use our legal aid services in person, we have offices in London and Colchester. For more information, please contact us on 01206 714650/ 020 7713 0089. Download and complete the SEND35 form (GOV.UK). You must do this within the following timeframes: You can get legal help for problems such as: If you have a low income or receive certain types of benefits, you may be eligible for legal aid. The key card for legal aid contains details of who is eligible.

In some cases, a young person may be entitled to legal aid himself. In summary, you will likely be eligible if: “Since my daughter was diagnosed with Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD), I have consistently struggled with my local authority to get the appropriate support for her. When my daughter left school for almost six months and had no chance of bringing her back to school, I contacted the Coram Children`s Legal Centre for help. The legal team immediately jumped on my case, and a month later she was back in school. The case was so well prepared that the local authority`s lawyer had no arguments and my case was won in court. I am very grateful for their hard work and dedication. The message is clear. Carefully prepared applications are accepted, and it is worth applying for individuals who meet the criteria for exceptional case funding. It goes without saying that the chances of success improve considerably when experts` hearing fees are paid.

Mediation is a way to help you and the local SEN team resolve issues related to the EHC plan outside of court. Among other things, it gives you the opportunity to find out why the local authority made the decision they did, so that you can explain why you disagree and agree on a compromise to avoid going to court. If you will be represented at the hearing or if you intend to hear witnesses, you will need to fill out an attendance form to confirm who will be with you. Seek advice from legal counsel on whether you qualify and how to apply. If you qualify for legal aid and your problem is covered, you can get: Legal aid can help cover the costs of legal advice, family mediation and representation in court. Parents are forced to take legal action against a lawyer working for the local authority, without legal representation. It`s incredibly intimidating in an already stressful and emotional appeal. To make matters worse, witness costs are also not covered by legal aid. This puts a parent at a very clear and obvious disadvantage at SEND`s final appeal hearing. This fact sheet provides information on how to obtain publicly funded legal aid for educational issues such as discrimination, special educational needs or judicial review.

It explains what legal aid is, when it is available and what kind of aid it covers. It usually starts with mediation. If mediation doesn`t work, you can go to a Special Education Needs and Persons with Disabilities Tribunal (SEND). The appeal is a legal procedure. You or a lawyer will need to build your case for a hearing. The local authority would do the same. The type of legal aid available before the SEND court is called “legal aid”. An eligible parent or youth will receive the assistance of a lawyer to prepare the case and may also be able to obtain funding to obtain additional necessary evidence, such as independent expert reports. Mutual legal assistance does not include the participation of a representative in the hearing. In exceptional cases, however, a legal aid provider may obtain funding to represent you at a hearing. However, many parents opt for legal representation in order to increase their chances of achieving the desired outcome.

Throughout the hearing, you can expect to receive questions from the SEDEM court, the local authority representative and your education lawyer. The arbitral tribunal is composed of 2 or 3 members of the panel, including 1 judge and an expert in SEND-related issues. (Note that if you own your home, the value of the home counts as “capital.” However, if your home is mortgaged, up to £100,000 can be deducted from the value of the home. If the unmortgaged value is £8,000 or less, you may still be eligible for legal aid.) You could get help with legal advice or ask someone to speak or negotiate for you. We also worked with the deafblind charity Sense and Steve Broach, lawyer for 39 Essex Chambers, to produce a variety of fact sheets and form letters to help you better understand the changes introduced by the Act and to represent you legally when you are concerned. You may be eligible for legal aid if you think your child has been discriminated against by their school, college or education provider. This can be based on their disability, race, religion or belief, gender, sexual orientation, gender change or pregnancy. In other exceptional cases, you may be able to get legal aid if you can prove that refusing legal aid would violate: the prospective adoptive parents would have struggled to cope with the legal complexities of the appeal, let alone fund legal representation for a 2-day hearing, plus the £2,000 cost for experts attending the hearing.